Friday, December 26, 2008

I think I am one of the working poor.

And it sucks. I really think the middle class is now the working poor. Or something. I might be over-dramatizing this, but sheesh.

I make an "OK" salary I guess (a little over $37K), but I wish I was paid more. I know, we all wish that. I dunno, I just feel like I worked hard throughout my life and went to a great school and all of that. Maybe this is a little bit of the entitlement monster sneaking out? When I started at my current job 2 years ago, I started out at $28K, so I guess increasing my salary by 9K in 2 yrs is pretty good? I don't know much about these things--salaries, getting paid what you should be getting, etc.

What bothers me mostly is after health insurance comes out, and taxes, and the bills are paid, there is very little for savings or fun/leisure. So I spend my free time doing things like cleaning and laundry and all of that...and then I stress because I never have any time for exploring my hobbies or interests. Or hell, even just sitting at the kitchen table staring into space.

Wait, I'm writing this blog entry, so it's not like I live a life of complete drudgery, lol.

And we have no debt, or crazy bills to pay--this is important to remember. But still, I just feel that things that could make my life easier are not possible. That we'll never be ahead, and I'll just go from work to chores at home and back to work.

Our bills are pretty straightforward, too:
  • rent
  • phone/cell/internet
  • electric (which includes heat)
  • cable (we have a pretty cheap plan, too...not the cheapest, though, ha)
  • gym memberships
  • food
  • gas
  • the random things needed at Target, Walmart, CVS
  • copays for dr's visits and RX's
  • and then the bills that come every so often, like car taxes or car insurance
I am happy that I don't have to write things like: student loans or credit card X, Y, AND Z...but it would be nice to have more to show for me doing "the right thing" you know?

I have thought about going back to school...because a lot of times you have to go back to school to earn more money...but I'm not sure what I'd go back for, nor am I sure that it would equal more money. Unless I changed fields 100% and you never know if you'll have to start out at a super low salary. I don't want to go backwards!!!!

In a perfect world, I'd love to have a cleaning person and a laundry person...then I could spend my free time doing FUN things! There is no perfect world though.

I think I'd feel better if this apartment were a bit bigger or if we didn't have so much stuff and few places to put it all...maybe I'd feel a bit more proactive about taking care of our space, or that it wouldn't look so packed. I'm actually embarrassed to have people over, because we have things everywhere...there's no place to put them all. Wedding gifts in the kitchen still, fishing rods in the half bath so the cats won't get to them, snow shovels by the door....argh!

No comments: