Saturday, January 3, 2009

Will you be my friend?

On Facebook, that is.

A girl whom I've known since Kindergarten, and was very good friends with throughout our school years, but lost touch with during college, friended me recently on Facebook. It surprised me, and actually made my stomach do flip-flops...and not in a good way.

I always found myself getting annoyed with her, especially in high school. She was one of the pretty, thin girls, with over-indulgent parents, tons of boyfriends, "other" friends (people who didn't like me), etc. She always seemed to try and "one up" everyone else, and finally I just got sick of her antics, so I just stopped reaching out to her.

I'm guessing that now, this Facebook friending thing is to poke her nose into my life (which is what most people do on FB anyway) and see if she's better off than I am. I'm sure she is...I know she's got a new house and a new baby, and probably some great job and I'm sure her husband is employed too...

Meanwhile, I'm still struggling with everything these days--no house until my husband gets a job, I'm still not satisfied with my career, all which means no babies for awhile...and most definitely not until my health improves.

2 comments:

illinigirl said...

Oh my goodness. I am way behind on your blog.

Two comments:

1. If you don't like her, do you have to be her friend? (I am one to talk because I have a difficult type dealing with this, as I've agreed to fb friends with several people that are less than worthy of any acknowledgment.) :)

2. Don't assume that she is better than you. If she is an evil beotch. . . she's absolutely not better than you.

3. (Okay three comments). . . People that have many of the things in life that I don't that we are expected to have by some people's standards (husband, baby, etc.) aren't any better than me in my opinion. It's hard to convince yourself of this when the world telling you otherwise, but this stuff just doesn't matter in the long run. What matters is your happiness. . . and I think your new year's goals are a good start to achieving more of that!

Don't let this chick get you down!

girlwednesday said...

Haha, that's OK! The past month or two was busy time for everyone.

I ended up friending her, just to see what was up...and because a friend of mine who no longer speaks to this girl either ended up friending her. So if SHE did it, I could too ;) And there's always the "unfriending" option, haha.

You're absolutely right--with everything you said. And I know all of that deep down, but I feel so UGH about a lot of stuff these days. I know a lot of it isn't my fault nor did I have any direct influence on things. But still, the feelings suck and there's little I can do to change it.

Hopefully, I can get behind my new goals and just be happy with what I'm doing right now.