Monday, January 12, 2009

100th post--big news!

I think this news is fitting for the 100th post here.

OK READERS, I am going back to school!!!!!! The following is from a message board that I belong to...

I've been feeling really stuck and bored with life lately, as some of you might have noticed.

My therapist and I made major headway the other night about why I feel like this...and finally she said, "Look, I have to say this, I might be biased, but..." and then she suggested that I'm not stimulated enough, I'd do better in an intellectual/academic environment, etc. That I don't really have a career, just jobs, and my dissatisfaction with that is why I keep wanting to "run away" from my life and just stay home and not work. So then I said to her "Okay, I have to come out with this...but I keep thinking about library school."

I had been thinking about it for years, since senior year of college--and just kept pushing it away, esp. after being IN a library...but I keep going back to it...and with all of my book-related jobs...why not make it my career and do something REAL and more stimulating and intellectual than what I am doing now? (and, um, make more money, lol) I just needed to admit it to myself.

I feel SO much better, as if I have figured out my purpose/direction. I think that's what was missing--I didn't have anything to look forward to or think about. And now I do :-)No more stuck feeling...I just have to move forward with my stuff. It makes me VERY excited thinking about it. It just all came together.

When I told DH after my appointment, he was like TOLD YOU SO! For years, he's been saying how I should go back to school, be a librarian, etc.

So, at the end of this month, I will start my very first library class, and go one class a semester until I'm accepted (because the school limits how many non-matriculated classes you can take) and then try and finish the degree as fast as I can. Over the summer, I will take the GRE, get all my application stuff together, etc.

Part of me was feeling like I needed to have my life figured out, and fast, esp. before we have kids. Well, we're not having kids for a few more years, so I can still do school, and there was a part of me who felt that I had to be like MY mom, and be a SAHM. I know a lot of people who had working parents and they turned out all right, no delinquents or anything, lol. I also know mothers who went back to school after having kids, too. There's no perfect life. There's an ideal, but nothing's perfect. So I'm just gonna roll with it and see what happens.

5 comments:

illinigirl said...

Yay! Good luck with everything! Love seeing the positive energy. . . I have a feeling 2009 will be a gret year for you. :)

girlwednesday said...

OH! I certainly hope so!!! :)

Unknown said...

That's awesome Jen! Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

That is awesome news! I could definitely see you working with books and being very happy.

girlwednesday said...

Thanks ladies!!! I just went to campus today to find out where my class is being held. Next week--to change my name with the university (I applied for a program YEARS ago, so they still have me with my maiden name), get my parking sticker and ID, etc.

EXCITING!