Thursday, August 27, 2009

House hunting, part "I don't know"

Still house hunting. We've been out more than twice now, but I can't tell you how many times. I lost count. It's still fun, but we really want to find THE home.

We've realized that raised ranches don't really fit us or our lifestyles and we're much better off with a colonial. We saw one that we LOVED but there are some cosmetic issues that we are concerned with so S, our Realtor, is investigating and asking lots of questions of the listing agent.

When I say "cosmetic issues," please don't think that I'm being a Diva and saying things like "ewww, I hate that shade of pink on the walls, I can't live here!" but "is that spackle job hiding water damage?" and "why is there so much blown-in insulation in the attic?" We want to make sure we aren't buying a lemon. Nasty pink walls can be painted. Serious damage or a lack of good insulation...harder and more expensive to fix.

So, no real updates...not yet...

Otherwise, things are good, just BUSY. Going out once or twice a week to look at houses can mess with your schedule and routine just a bit. DH is settling in nicely with his job--they give new hires TONS of training. My work is busy too.

3 comments:

illinigirl said...

Good luck! I've never really had the luxury of gradually looking. . . I have found all my houses the first days I've looked. . . or narrowed it down to two and made an offer the next day.

In a way, it's good though. If I did, that would probably be dangerous, and it would take forever! . . .

It's a big decision. . . especially when you plan on staying in the same place for a while. I've never been in that situation before!!!

girlwednesday said...

Well, your home buying has been related to a move so it is different! And when you get more people involved, it takes more time because everyone has to like the house. We have a lot of stuff and that affects what we can and can't look at. Esp when we have a boat and need a big enough yard to store it in!

michelle said...

good luck!! it will happen. Just remind yourself you don't want to settle for anything less that what you both want :)