Sunday, July 12, 2009

Why I love CVS

If you're in a part of the country that doesn't have CVS, I'm sorry :-(

We needed a few things that you can get pretty much anywhere--laundry detergent, bar soap, paper plates, napkins. I really don't like Walmart and go there only as a last resort, even though it's 5 mins from my house, but Target is like 25 mins away, no joke. I also don't like buying things like that at the grocery store, because they jack up the prices on those things and I hate the grocery store to begin with. (One perk of an unemployed husband--he does the food shopping during the week day!)

As many of you probably know, years ago, CVS came out with those ExtraCare cards, giving you $$ off on purchases and money back in the form of coupons. I'd recently got a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase, and an $8 coupon. Knowing that I needed those things mentioned above, I figured I'd get them at CVS (where they might be a little pricier than Target and probably less selection) but with the coupons, I'd probably come out OK. Plus CVS is also 5 mins from my house, so I'd save in gas, too. And I needed to pick up my RX for my allergy meds.

I grabbed my regular coupon folder before I left, and it's a good thing I did. Here's what happened when I went to CVS...

Laundry detergent--yeah, not as many varieties as Target, but we usually use Tide or Arm & Hammer. Also because we have to hike our stuff down to our complex's laundry room, we buy small bottles. I know, it's more money that way, but laundry is heavy enough! Tide was on sale for $5.99 (saving $3 from the usual price), plus I had a $1 off coupon for any sized Tide. Score!

Grabbed the paper plates and napkins--both were store brand, so pretty cheap. Got the soap, realized we also needed toothpaste. had a $1 off coupon for that too. Wasn't sure if I had enough to get me to the $50 mark (and I know, those coupons make you spend more so you think you're saving) so I grabbed a box of tissues, also store brand. I was on my way to the pharmacy counter, and walked by the contact solution that I use. It was $2.50 off for the twin pack, and I also had a soon-to-expire $3 off coupon. Grabbed that too!

Here's what my receipt ended up looking like:
  • RX item 10.00
  • contact stuff 14.99 (saved 2.50)
  • Tide 5.99 (saved 3.00)
  • toothpaste 5.99
  • napkins 3.49
  • paper plates 3.99
  • tissues 1.99
  • soap 7.99
Then the coupons!
  • -1.00
  • -1.00
  • -3.00
  • -10.00 (I only used the one CVS coupon, decided to save the $8 one for another purchase, it was good through the end of August)
Total, after sales tax = $40.76, saving $20.50!!!!!!!!

It was like getting my prescription, the tissues, and the soap for free, lol. I LOVE when I do stuff like this. I'm such a dork, that's why I had to share with you all. I'm also proud of myself for no impulse purchases, like a magazine or some gum or whatever. And the best part, I got another coupon for another $2 off a future purchase. Score!

No comments: