Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

This is my first St. Patrick's Day with an Irish last name. Yay for DH being half Irish and that half being his father's side ;-) Our last name is fairly common, which is good and bad. In fact, there is another guy in our town with DH's exact name--I worked with his brother-in-law for a year and discovered this odd fact. This doppelganger of sorts also ran for our town council, so it was quite amusing back in October to see "vote (DH's name) for district 4."

My first name is also very very common for girls born in the late 1970s/early 1980s, so there are many "girlwednesdays" in the world. It is a step up from my maiden name, which had a few random capital letters and uncommon consonants. It also is well-known in the town where we live, thanks to a family business.

So now, not only do I have a sweet Irish name, I also have anonymity. I'm an Irish ninja. (But I do confess, when I need something done, or want someone to remember me, I totally insert the maiden name.) I do have Irish blood in me, about 25%, from me mum's side of the clan. This really shouldn't matter, since this is America and we're all a mix of nationalities and cultures. But it's still fun.

This being said, tonight at dinner, DH and I figured out (with PIE CHARTS!) how much Irish our future kids would be. Roughly 33%--more than their mother (that would be me, folks). That's pretty funny. And yes, we are nerds who enjoy plotting out the ethnic makeup of our yet to be conceived children. May God bless them...and us.

PS. Just wanted to give you an update on last night's polenta. That was...interesting. Very bland. Give me rice, pasta, couscous anyday. The polenta was fine, but it was just...underwhelming and had a gelatinous consistency. Weird. Not for me!

1 comment:

A+ said...

Toss in some sun-dried tomatoes. Or bake it until firm and cake-like (not runny) and then cover it in mozzarella cheese and sauce. Or you can even do them in a frying pan with some olive oil to make it crispy on the outside.