Monday, March 16, 2009

Are BlackBerrys really necessary?

A friend of mine recently got a BlackBerry, which I learned about when she emailed me from it.

I think this is ridiculous. She doesn't have a job that requires round the clock contact, nor does is she allowed to do work in "off hours." Don't get me wrong, I looooove the internet, but I'm not that into gadgets where I'd need to have constant access to email and the web. Sure, it COULD be handy, but really, why do you NEED something like that? Plus, the money that you have to shell out...

I just think it's laughable because a few months ago, I was saying how DH and I had to cut back on things because money is tight, and she was sort of snotty about it, saying "money's tight for everyone." Now here she is with some high-priced gadget which requires monthly service!!!!! Get real. The money tightness in our home was a result of an action beyond our control...where it seems hers was a result of many actions within her control.

I truly believe that our society needs to STOP falling prey to this stuff. Some people are learning it now, only because they have to (job loss, hours being cut), or because they live in fear of what might happen. Some people have been avoiding this stuff already, and they're the ones who are surviving and thriving.

To me, the only people who need BBs are those who need to be in constant reach with someone else, but primarily from a job.

Just my opinion ;-)

3 comments:

illinigirl said...

I have a palm.

I used to think I did not need a nice cell phone. . . and have only had this phone with internet for ~6 months.

I love my phone.

I love being connected to the internet at all times. It's saved me like a million times, but the most important time was when it was really icy out when my plane landed for Christmas, and I could look up hotels on my phone and make reservations before I was even at the gate. . .

But, I also love checking facebook on my phone. :)

I also love checking in for Southwest flights.

I would check my email ALL the time if it wasn't so slow on my phone.

Yeah, I'm a freak though, and now I think my phone has caused/brought out ADD. That kinda sucks.

girlwednesday said...

You get a pass ;)

You travel a LOT and a phone is much smaller and more convenient than a laptop. Plus, you might need it for work related purposes.

You're good!

Unknown said...

I agree. It would be useful for my job, and has been recommended to me to get one, but I still refuse. I already feel like my job has me by "the balls". Why become even MORE accessible!

I also think for what I do for a living, people need some kind of boundaries. It's not healthy to have access to someone 24/7!