Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hair Update

This morning, I washed my hair again with baking soda and conditioned with an apple cider vinegar/water mixture.

Right away, I could tell that it didn't feel as clean as it did on Sunday night. I don't know if that's because it wasn't as dirty (which is a backwards way of thinking) or if I needed to use something different. I blew it dry (something I rarely do) because I didn't want any surprises during the day. It felt a bit greasy, but didn't look too bad...I don't know.

Right now, my hair looks like it does after I go get my hair cut and my stylist puts a ton of stuff in it and flat irons it and all that jazz. Kinda dirty looking, but really good at the same time? LOL

I have ZERO product in, which I'm pretty pleased about. I did sprinkle some face powder in my hair while I was doing my makeup, just to absorb any oil that might come out, and brushed that in.

I just can't believe how straight it is without me putting a ton of crap in it...and it's not frizzy, either. I have one admission: I used this triangle attachment thingy that came with my blow dryer. I'd never used it before. It's not a diffuser--I have one of those, too. It redirects the hot air, and aims it better. I don't know what it's called though. That might have helped in taming the frizz, but oh well.

I'm actually getting my hair cut tomorrow and I'm scared my "progress" with the BS and ACV will be thwarted by the salon stuff. We'll see.

I am also thinking about using a bit more ACV in the mixture, in the hopes of cutting back on the greasies. I know there is an adjustment period, so I just have to bite the bullet and wait for my hair to regulate.

Now to comment on yesterday's comments:

I've never used salon products, except when I'm at the salon. I guess it's the cheapskate in me, plus, I don't have a ton of $ to throw around. So I wouldn't really know if there was a true difference?

The vinegar wasn't too bad, but if you have an aversion to it, I don't blame you for not wanting to use it! Plus, ACV has a slight apple smell, so it's better than straight white vinegar.

I'm happy to say that my hair doesn't smell, thank GOD. I was worried that it would have, as Illini Girl called it "that icky dirty hair smell." I knew EXACTLY what you were talking about ;-) It doesn't really have a smell, maybe a bit from the powder that I put in it (but that isn't a bad smell), but nothing like that icky nasty smell.

I'll keep trying...even though my husband thinks I'm nuts for putting acid in my hair. The former chem major in him keeps saying "there's a reason why shampoo is a BASE, honey." I actually have to go buy more ACV today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i couldn't even try that w/ my hair. my hair is really fine but tangles easy (so i need conditioner badly). plus, it gets so greasy (and blonde hair is NOT pretty greasy).
you're lucky you can do this!